- It is a scripting language typically used to make webpages interactive by programming the behavior of web pages — sliders, alerts, click interactions, popups, etc.
- It supports object-oriented, imperative and delcarative (e.g. functional programming) styles
- On 25th December 1990, Sir Tim Berners-Lee introduced the first web browser — WorldWideWeb. It was created on the NeXT computer system in Switzerland — around the same time he created the first web server
- In December 1991, Al Gore invented the internet. He introduced the Gore bill which funded the first browser — Mosaic — developed by Marc Andreessen and Eric Bina at the University of Illinois
- In 1993, Andreessen graduated and co-founded Netscape in California. With Netscape Navigator holding over 80% of the browser market share within the first few years, Andreessen noticed that browsers would need to become more dynamic and required a new language to do this